BENEFITS OF RAW CACAO
15. Feb. 2017
There’s a reason why chocolate is loved all over the world. It was the Mayans who first started to cultivate cacao plants creating an elixir they called “xocolatl” (meaning “bitter water”). It was a mixture of crushed cocoa beans, chilli peppers and water. The Mayans called it the “drink of Gods” and often used during various ceremonies. Cacao was so precious it was once used as a currency, also recognised for its medicinal, religious and cultural benefits.
Today, chocolate is typically processed and cocoa beans roasted, which destroys a large amount of the antioxidants (not to mention the sugar and oils that are typically added to make chocolate bars). Raw Cacao, like the one we use in our Pure Blend protein blends, on the other hand has numerous health benefits, so you can add it to your diet without any guilt!
Raw cacao powder is one of the most incredible and delicious superfoods.
TOP 10 HEALTH BENEFITS of raw cacao
- Raw cacao is one of the best sources of antioxidants, promoting cardiovascular health and protection against environmental and metabolic toxins.
- Enhances mental wellbeing - cacao is a source of four “bliss chemicals” such as serotonin, and dopamine. These neurotransmitters are associated with a feeling of wellbeing, happiness, and can even alleviate depression.
- Natural aphrodisiac – Another mood-enhancing compound found in cacao is phenethylamine, which triggers the release of endorphins and pleasurable opium-like neurochemicals. These often release naturally when we fall in love
- High in the beauty mineral sulphur, an essential for strong nails, hair, radiant skin and helps detoxify the liver.
- One of the highest plant-based sources of magnesium, the most deficient mineral in the Western diet, which is essential for healthy heart function, strong bones, relaxing muscles and said to aid with digestions.
- High in other vitamins and minerals such as potassium, vitamin C, iron, calcium and copper. Cacao is the highest plant-based source of iron known to man, at a whopping 7.3mg per 100g and has a higher content of calcium than milk.
- Raw cacao will not increase blood sugar levels and have a very low GI level, perfect for those with sugar sensitivities or diabetes.
- Improves cognitive function and prevents Alzheimer’s – A Harvard study by Dr. Gary Small, showed that middle-aged people who drank two cups a day had improved memory and increased blood flow to the brain.
- Raw cacao contains oleic acid, which has been linked to lowering bad cholesterol.
- Lastly – it is delicious and versatile, can be easily added to smoothies, desserts and much more!